What to see and do in Nipigon
Nipigon’s Historical Walking Tour
Take a walk through time and savour the tales old buildings have to tell. Tour length is a relaxing 2.6 kilometres. All Sites are accessible by road. You can pick up your map the the Museum or at the Town Office.
Nipigon River Recreational Trail
This 8.2 km hiking trail, which connects the Nipigon and Red Rock marinas, takes between 2 ½ to 3 hours to complete.The trail is open through all seasons. Summer and fall enjoy the vibrant colours. During the winter months the scene is transformed as the river freezes to a dazzling white. Click here for more information and a downloadable map.
Paddle to the Sea Park and Splash Pad
The Paddle-to-the-Sea Park in Nipigon brings the adventure story of a journey through the Great Lakes to life for kids. Starting at the Lake Superior waterfall in the heart of downtown Nipigon, twelve playground stations lead families on a journey of fun through town to the waterfront. Please click here for more information about the Paddle to the Sea story.
Travelling through town on a hot day? Stop in and cool down at our new SPLASH PAD at Paddle-to-the-Sea Park in our downtown core. Officially opened on July 29th, 2016, this state-of-the-art water park includes the “Cascades” feature, where toddlers to teens have a blast playing in the water buckets, and opening and closing the dams in the water troughs. Other features include a gentle misting leaf, flower dumping buckets, a spraying snail, and fountain spouts. After you play, relax with an ice cream across the street at Rotary Park, visit the Nipigon Historical Museum, check out the local shops, or enjoy lunch at the Edgeview at Sunnyside restaurant, overlooking the scenic Nipigon River.
The port of Nipigon is the most Northerly freshwater port in North America. With a deep water channel all the way to the fully serviced marina, boaters are invited to cross the 49th parallel and receive their certificate commemorating the occasion. For more information contact the Nipigon Marina at 807-887-3040 or the Township of Nipigon at 807-887-3135 or our toll free number 1-877-596-1359 (monitored in the summer months only). Click here for more information.
St. Sylvester Catholic Church
The oldest church in the Nipigon Area. It was built in 1877 and mass is still celebrated at this historic site. The Church is owned by the people of Red Rock Indian Band and is located along Highway 11 travelling North to Greenstone. The first recorded burial was in 1880. For more information about the Church and its history please contact Red Rock Indian Band at 1-877-887-2510.
World Class Fishing
World class fishing can be found at the very top of the great lakes in every season. We have some of the best brook trout around, with 5-10 lbs fish a common catch. There is a great variety of fishing; from Lake Superior, the largest freshwater lake in the world, to the fast moving Nipigon River, home of the world record brrok trout.
For more information on fishing in Nipigon click here.
Northshore Golf Course
The North Shore Golf Club is located between Nipigon and the turn off to Red Rock. Situated between beautiful mountains this nine hole golf course is the idea place to get away and enjoy the spectacular view and a great game of golf. Incorporated in 1961, The North Shore Golf Club has nine holes with multiple tees, measuring 6500 yards from the black championship tees. Visit the Northshore Golf Club page for more detailed information.
Orient Bay Rock/Ice Climbing
Just forty kilometers north of Nipigon on Highway 11 there are some majestic rock faces and amazing opportunities for ice climbing in the winter time. Ice climbing can be a very dangerous sport and should only be done under the instruction of an experienced instructor. The Nipigon Ice Fest is held annually in March. Dare to be there.
The weight, movement and melting of ice age glaciers has forever marked the landscape with a succession of terraces, deep angular gorges and unique geological formations. This breathtaking view should not be missed! Located in the Township of Dorion, on Canyon Road off Highway 11/17, the Canyon is approximately 150 metres (492 feet) wide, 100 metres (329 feet) deep , and 2.4 kilometers (1.5 miles) long. Click here for Visitor Information.
Amethyst is one of our oldest recorded gemstones. Amethyst jewellery was found in many ancient Egyptian tombs. Found in quantity in the Nipigon/Thunder Bay area. north of Lake Superior, it was chosen as Ontario’s gemstone in 1975. Best known for it’s deep rich tones of dark-bluish purple, amethyst ranges from reddish violet to pale lilac tints. Rings earrings, necklaces, pendants, and bracelets containing this colourful gemstone have been fashioned by local artisans and are displayed at various amethyst and rock shops between Nipigon and Thunder Bay.
The Nipigon River
The World Famous Nipigon River is located at the crossroads of Highway 11 & 17. The world’s largest brook trout was caught in the Nipigon River just below Rabbit Rapids in July of 1915. Dr. Cook wheeled in the world record trout weighing in at 14 lbs. 8 oz. (6.58 kg), 31 ½ inches long and 18 inches around the middle. Click here for more information. Special regulations do apply to these waters, so check before you fish.
Hydro Electric Generating Stations
In 1917 the towns of Port Arthur and Fort William (now Thunder Bay), had each unanimously passed a by-law enacting an agreement with the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario to develop additional power sources on the Nipigon River for the twin cities. Click here for more information on the various hydro generating stations on the Nipigon River.
The Nipigon Murals
Come visit the famous Nipigon Murals “Racing the Train:”, “Fifty Years of Service” and “The Last River Drive” painted by Dan Sawatsky, a professional artist for over 20 years. Sawatsky’s first mural was completed in 1983 in Chemainus, BC where he now resides with his wife and two children. Since then Sawatsky has had over 40 major commissions for murals in Canada, the United States and Tokyo, Japan.